R.I.P. Christie Romero

(Photo credit: The Center for Jewelry Studies)

I came home from the studio today to some very sad news. Jewelry historian, Christie Romero, passed away yesterday from pancreatic cancer. For those unfamiliar with this remarkable woman, Christie was one of the foremost authorities on antique and period jewelry, the director of the Center for Jewelry Studies and the author of, what I consider, the best book on jewelry identification and history, Warman's Jewelry. (This book is sitting literally two feet from me - I refer to it constantly.) She was also an appraiser on the Antiques Roadshow from time to time.
Before I was making my own jewelry full-time I was wavering between the art history world and my passion for jewelry. Jewelry historian was the direction I wanted to head in and Christie was my hero. I dreamed of one day having half of her knowledge and even a fraction of her enthusiasm for jewelry. She was truly inspiring and ever-encouraging, always willing to take the time to respond to my silly emails asking her questions and gushing like a fan-girl.

The jewelry world has lost a wonderful person. Thankfully all her hard work, expertise and generosity will live on in the work she did and we can all continue to benefit from her gift.

Comments

Anonymous said…
so sad
mairedodd said…
this is very sad... i may know how you feel... i had dr. rona goffen at rutgers for a number of classes... as an art historian who specialized in the renaissance, she awed me with her knowledge and kept me hungry for more... she was an example of what one could do with their life pursuing their passion... i am sorry for her loss and for her sadness... i can only imagine how much she would have appreciated your vision and how you bring it to life...
Mary Harding said…
Your post about Christie Romero is very moving. I did not know of her but will now. I will be looking her up and thank you for sharing the cover of her book. I do believe that she must live on in your beautiful work.
Anonymous said…
A beautiful tribute.
mairedodd said…
i meant to say 'sorry for christie romero's loss and your sadness' ... that was written in the half dark while i listened to an animal that is trapped in my walls - hoping the humane society can somehow help...

Popular Posts