The Lorelei-Nancy necklace challenge

Last Sunday I played a little hooky and drove up to Lorelei's house to have a play day. We ended up shopping for beads and came up with the idea to have a challenge. We purchased the same six strands of beads and we made a few rules; we had to each make our own clasp, we could use any focal bead we wanted and we could bring in several other elements such as chain, other colors and wire...

I started by stealing my own porcelain flower piece from my Extra shop. I was thrilled to see that I had a brown one still in stock (who would have thought I would be happy something didn't sell?). I made this half flower piece with a lot of holes - at the time I was thinking "more holes means more options!" I started by going crazy with chain and draping and dripping it all over the place. That just wasn't doing it for me so I took it all apart and ended up creating this mega long fringe.

How dreamy is this cascade of smoky teal mother-of-pearl beads, I ask you? (Answer: extra dreamy!)

I love the way the carved floral bone beads mimic the flower in my pendant! Love it when that happens!
The deep teal crystal beads were the one bead I added to the mix. That color is just too perfect, there was no way I could not use them. And I am quite taken with the juxtaposition of the classy, fancy crystal to the rough brown lava and then the carved bone. That kind of thing makes me stupid with joy. :)

The rest of the necklace is a mishmash of the remaining beads that we had to use. I simply linked them with wire.

I made these copper teardrop pieces to house the other carved bone beads we bought. I really love the bone beads - the texture, the weight... yep, they are bone (as Lorelei said "They are someone's bone, I can't think about it!), but I am smitten with it.

My clasp is nothing spectacular, just simple. I always think that I will make some extraordinary closure and then when the time comes I just want to finish the piece and get it over with. Perhaps next time I should start with the clasp.

So there you have it! The first Lorelei-Nancy necklace challenge comes to an end! I can't wait to see what Lori has come up with. The suspense is killing me!!!!

Hope everyone enjoyed this! We will be doing it again, hopefully soon, so keep your eyes peeled. :)

Comments

Erin Siegel said…
Great design, Nancy! All the elements work so well together. I love the statement pieces you make. This feels vintage with your porcelain focal and the long dangles, like something from the Art Deco period, but also feels a bit bohemian too, with the mix of beads and natural elements. Nice mix, I think! :)
I really like this necklace, it reminds me of wind chimes (which I love) wind chimes for your neck!! I've always loved your half floral focals.....I need to get me some!
elisabeth said…
Love it - you both had such fabulous results. I love the tear drop links with the bone beads - stunning!
Lorelei Eurto said…
STUNNING! I love how you created the fringe along the bottom of the flower focal. I think the brown glaze looks amazing with the colors of the beads we picked out. Have always loved those tear drop wire links you make, they are so perfect in this design. My eye moves all around this piece, and my eyes never get bored. The shell coins might be my favorite part of your necklace! I can't wait to do this again, so let's get together again soon!
Amy Nicole said…
This was really fun to follow! You guys both did a fabulous job....
TerriK said…
I LIKE THIS! Such fun! Nancy, can you describe how you make your teardrop cages? They are very cool!
Unknown said…
Extra dreamy indeed! I lurve those blue mother of pearl coins!!! I feel the same as Lorelei about the bone beads, they kinda creep me out. But I think how you surrounded the top ones with wire is super fantastic and takes away the creepiness factor for me :)
Unknown said…
Hello well I have seen you on Loreleis page. Your necklace is absolutely Stunning! What a job you have done Nancy!
Malin de Koning said…
Super duper nice! All comes together beautifully. The teardrop pieces - i will want to make those myself - love them. And that giant fringe - awesome!

I must say you picked a very nice collection of beads the two of you. I really like the carved bone too.

All my best, Malin
Wow!! It looks awesome. I never would have put those colors together, but they look FANTABULOUS!!!
Silver Parrot said…
That necklace is spectacular - am especially loving the focal with the fringe. I usually think of fringe having to be small and delicate with little beads, but you made it work with lots of larger beads and it's fantastic!
Regina said…
What a necklace, it is sensational. So much color, texture, shapes, sizes, it would be a delight to be wearing it.
Beautiful, I love the wire teardrops. Can't wait to see what Lorelei came up with.
Shannon
The 2 necklaces are so different and really reflect your individualities. I would love to go shopping with you! That chain and bead fringe is so bold , but works right in with the rest of the design. Very entertaining idea and it sounds like there's a lot of interest in more. My blog is new if you'd like to look sometime -
http://goinoffthebeadinpath.blogspot.com/
stregata said…
Great challenge and I love the cascade of chain and beads beneath the focal!
Mermaid Glass said…
This is so beautiful! The colors are gorgeous and the piece is perfectly balanced - ornate, with nice chunky beads but somehow not heavy looking. Love it!

Popular Posts