About two years ago....

...I made this gigantic blue hollow porcelain bead. I was pretty excited about it. I mean, it's hollow! Those who make ceramic beads might understand my joy (we are an odd bunch who take pleasure in simple things...)

Anyhoo, I have held on to this bead for a few years now, not sure what to do with it. In my typical fashion I have made several pieces with it and have taken them apart, not satisfied with the result. Part of the problem is that it is just so freaking big!

See what I mean? It's a monster.

Then last week, while I was at the hair salon reversing time, I got the idea for this necklace. I used large lava beads (I am determined to use up these beads!), large glass pearls in a lovely gunmetal color and bright green grosgrain ribbon.

I am very pleased with the result and will not be taking this one apart. Yay! The big-ass hollow bead has finally found a home!

Thanks for all the kind comments on my last post. One of you asked for some tips when working with ribbon... I'm probably not the best person to be giving tips since I don't use it too often but the one bit of advice I can give is to use Fray Check on the ends. Not groundbreaking info, I know, but I have found it to be invaluable for keeping the ends nice and clean and crisp. If that is the look you are going for, that is. Use super sharp scissors to make a clean cut and then apply Fray Check to the edges (it will dry invisible) and you won't have to worry about your new creation looking all mangy after a little handling.
That's my tip of the day! Hope someone found it helpful. :)

Comments

Wonderful piece, I am so in love with your large hollow bead. I am glad you found a way to use it because it turned out gorgeous!
TesoriTrovati said…
Wow. That is a stunner! I love the contrast of the rough lava with shiny pearl. Makes it so interesting to follow the path of that ribbon. Like shooting into outer space on a comet and back to planet earth!
Striking design, Nancy.
Enjoy the day!
Erin
elisabeth said…
Awesomely awesome! Love the big bead! Love exclamation marks today!!!!
ThreeRedBeads said…
Very cool! I really like that large hollow bead! On a different note, I recently picked up a copy of Belle Armoire, the green caught my eye right away, very, very nice design there too!
Unknown said…
Wonderful, great colors!
Malin de Koning said…
"... I was at the hair salon reversing time."
Sounds like an awesome hair salon. Or is it just another one of your own amazing abilities? Just happened to take place there this time.

Love your colourful language darling! I took the liberty to put together a full desription of your bead with your own words:

A hollow big-ass freaking monster bead.

In a beautiful necklace.

Happy New Year Nancy!
Amy F said…
That is so cool! Love the bead and your use of ribbon too!

Popular Posts