Catching up

Hope after the flood

This photo of the local movie theater pretty much sums up the feeling in my town. Soon. Soon we will all be somewhat back to normal. Some of us will be more normal than others, for sure. I am doing well. After nearly a month I had my power turned back on last week. Hot water followed a day later. A new furnace and the heat it will provide with be back sometime next week, hopefully. In the meantime I have been burning wood to keep warm and to help dry out my ridiculously damp house. Fighting mildew is my new day job. It seems to crop up on everything from my furniture to glass to the walls. I clean it. It comes back. I swear at it. It gives me the finger. Bastard mildew.

The best time of year

Anyhoo, the flip side of Mother Nature has been stunning this autumn. My friend, Susan, described the brilliant fall colors as make-up sex after the nasty flood. Must admit I laughed out loud when I read that.

Autumn in upstate NY

This was the view during my drive yesterday as I made my way from my refuge in the Finger Lakes to my cold, damp house. G.O.R.G.E.O.U.S.

Finch and Laurel

In other news. Bunny news. Finch and Laurel have finally bonded! I didn't think it would happen but it did. They love each other. Awwwwwww!

Finch and Laurel

Finch still won't let me touch her but she's making real progress. She such a funny rabbit. So fluffy, I just want to squish her...

Snazy earrings

It's been hard to get any work done outside of house related things. I will be ordering a new kiln soon and the studio in Binghamton will hopefully be up and running soon as well. By soon I mean it will probably be another month or so before I am able to make any new ceramic pieces. I'm going a bit crazy not being able to work like I usually do. I made these earrings (above) from some patterned brass and copper sheet that I picked up at Beadfest back in August. They have my signature sterling ear wires and I riveted them with aluminum. I kind of really love them. A lot. :)

Comments

We drove through Schoharie and Middleburgh and it is sobering to see the loss and devastation and yet right there next to condemned homes and bridges washed away or those with trees on top of them is the most beautiful views.
I am glad you and the bunnies are making your way back to your new normal.
Shannon C
Gardanne said…
Glad to hear things are looking up Nancy, love the earrings. I can't wait to see what comes out of your kiln after this experience.
Diana P. said…
So glad things are finally improving! Can't wait until you are 100% up and running again. I think I have the need for some of your pieces...yes, yes I do.
Pretty Things said…
I'm glad to see that even in the midst of all this, you're creating. And I love the bunnies!
Thoughtfulhands said…
Nancy it's so nice to have an update. Glad to hear things are moving along. I liked the make-up sex discription and it does look beautiful. I live in the desert not much color in the fall. Bunnies look very happy and cozy and the new earrings look really cool! I can see those on my ears :>

Take Care,
Theresa
Holly said…
Nancy - thanks so much for the update! One of my co-workers has family up your way, and was just up visiting/cleaning. It was so sobering to hear her take on it all.... Love the earrings! And thanks for the bunny update too :) Love hearing about the furkids.
Jenni said…
Glad to hear things are improving and life is starting to get back to normal for you.
Love the bunnies and your earrings are gorgeous.
jenni
Spirited Earth said…
good to see you are blogging again..love the bunnies..hope you will get your studio up and running soon
cookingwithgas said…
they are beautiful! And I know it felt good to create something to ease the stress.
Fighting mold and mildew is going to be a big problem and one that you might need help with.
We had lot's to fight after our fire and i still have some ware boars that will grow stuff after 3 years- just out of the blue and that stuff is not good to breath.
Here is a wish for a faster soon.
SummersStudio said…
It's so good to hear from you and the bunnies and lovely to see that you've been able to do some work. Best wishes for a sooner soon!
Jenny said…
Glad to hear things are progressing along, slowly but surely - like the bunnies! I am glad they are BFF's now. The earrings are gorgeous, of course. Maybe when you do get t the clay you will have nurtured a million little kernels of new ideas...
ClickNCamera said…
Your bunnies make me crazy (they are so cute)and these earrings are gorgeous! The rivets are a great accent.
Courtney Breul said…
I am so glad to hear that things are moving forward! Great news.

Lovin' those earrings, alot.
Erin Siegel said…
So good to hear from you! Those earrings ROCK! :)
Anonymous said…
Bastard Mildew. I'm glad to see you haven't lost your sense of humor. Hope things get cleared up/full steam ahead soon! The Fall colors are a perfectly inspiring distraction. And BTW, those earrings are fabulous!
Judy said…
I am so glad to hear you are on your way to better days. So nice that you are channeling your creative side into some stunning earrings!
lunedreams said…
OMG, you are a Pioneer Woman! That takes real resourcefulness and nerves of steel! Congratulations on your hot water, that must be a relief. Not to mention POWER. Mildew blows, thank God for bleach. I wish they could tent and fumigate your house for mildew like they can for bugs.

So glad to hear it's coming together again. You will win!!! And you earrings are beautiful--it is the rivets, I think, that makes them so cool.
Mary Harding said…
So glad that soon is now a concept in your town. Love your new earrings. Super design.
Jenny said…
Nancy, I'm so glad to hear that things are coming along for you. Are you using de-humidifyers?

Glad to hear your creativity has an outlet again, even if it's not your primary medium. The earrings are great!

Thanks for posting an update. I've been thinking about you!
mairedodd said…
thank you for the update - i have been wondering about you! love the earrings... and the landscape is gorgeous - great analogy by susan... and your bunnies are adorable... (as you know, i have your blog blocked for my kids - because with my cats, we would soon have many bunnies... kidding and not kidding)
planettreasures said…
Aw, such bunny cuteness : )
Love the earrings too.
Hope everything is back to normal soon.
I am so glad to hear you are on your way to better days. So nice that you are channeling your creative side into some stunning earrings!

Popular Posts