Just say no to the Easter bunny

It's that time of year again. Easter. And that means it is time for me to ask everyone not to buy a rabbit.

Late last night as we were driving to the grocery store Paul spotted a small round lump sitting in the gutter along side the curb. We stopped the car and realized that it was a young rabbit. This was not a wild rabbit, it was domestic and it was very small and it was, no doubt, an Easter bunny purchase. I have no idea how this bunny came to be outside in the freezing cold. It was scared and hungry and would not let us anywhere near it. We spent several hours trying to catch it. We tried to lure it with fresh greens but it clearly had never had such food in it's life and didn't know what to do with it. We went back with pellets but by then it was in hiding and we couldn't find it. It was midnight and we had to give up.

I can't really explain how sad this situation makes me. I didn't sleep at all. I just kept picturing this defenseless creature in the cold, in a part of town that is overrun with stray cats and a busy, high traffic road. The chance for survival is slim. My anger towards the irresponsible people who purchased this rabbit is growing. I hope I never know who they are. They are safer that way.

Last year I wrote a post by the same name that can be read here. This year I will make some simple statements:
  • Instead of purchasing a rabbit for Easter donate the money you would have spent to your local chapter of the House Rabbit Society.
  • If you must have a rabbit please do not keep it in a cage whether it is inside or out. Most people would never consider keeping a cat or a dog in a cage its entire life and yet that is what people do to rabbits on a regular basis. Rabbits need exercise, they need to run and play. They need soft ground to lay on and they need and enjoy interaction with people.
  • Rabbits are easily litter box trained.
  • If you have a house full of small children, cats and dogs, a rabbit is not for you. They enjoy calm, quiet surroundings.
  • If you already have a rabbit please have it spayed or neutered. A female rabbit has a high probability of having uterine cancer if not spayed. They must be spayed!
  • Buy a chocolate bunny instead.
I am off to look for the rabbit again. Perhaps in the daylight I will have more success. Wish me luck.

Comments

Round Rabbit said…
Thanks Jennifer. :)
SummersStudio said…
Caged rabbits make me very sad. Good luck in your search.
I hope that this is read by at least one person who was considering getting a bunny for their kids for Easter. Every point you make is right on. I have an "Easter bunny"... after the novelty wore off for the people who bought her, they put an ad on Craigslist. At least they were humane enough to do that. She has the run of the house with her buddy Nutmeg (another rescue). You can see them on my blog, along with our 5 other bunnies!
Robin said…
That is heartbreaking. I hope you find the rabbit. Please let us know if you do.
Erin Siegel said…
Great post, Nancy. I'm so sorry about the bunny. :( Oh, I hope, I hope you find him/her! Sending good luck vibes your way!
Lorelei Eurto said…
oh that's so sad! I hope you find it!!!
Hi, Nancy, I promise NOT to buy a bunny except maybe a chocolate one and you said that's okay ... did you receive any special bunnies lately .... ? LOL
SueBeads said…
Good luck - I hope you find the bunny!
Dani said…
Oh my gosh Nancy...I do hope you find this bunny. If you can (and this may sound strange) but try and get a butterfly net with a long handle ($1 stores). Maybe you can capture him that way!

Keep us posted...
jeweledrabbit said…
I hope you find the bunny too, and thanks for posting about this issue again.
Gaea said…
Oh! I hope you find it! Thanks for the valuable info about rabbits and their care!
Annette Tait said…
Hi Nancy,

good luck in finding the rabbit and if it is cold then they may have burrowed into a bush or small corner - good luck xx fingers crossed.

I too post alot about rabbits and rescue rabbits and how BIG a committment they are (see my blog if you have time) - and like Heart of a Cowgirl - I hope it puts off someone thinking about a rabbit on a whim.


I also believe the pet shops have a lot to answer for!
Highland Fairy said…
What a sad story! I do hope the bunny will be OK, or someone will be able to catch it look after it well...people here don't buy Rabbits at Easter, and I really wish people would stop buying animals just for fun or because it's a trend!
Thank you for posting this Nancy...I've learned something new...and you certainly are a caring person!
XXX
LillyShayStyle said…
I hope you find this little bunny.. It's heartbreaking, the way animals are treated.
I used to have rabbit, he had the run of the house. His best friend was my cat, lol. They loved to chase each other and were very friendly.
Rabbits can be treated just like cats and dogs.
Good luck!
sharon said…
Good luck on your quest and I commend you! These type of things also disturb me a lot. Thank you for caring!!
Christina said…
Amen to everything you said and I hope you catch that bunny.

Popular Posts