We took NYC by storm!

You might not be able to tell by our innocent faces (a cute Lorelei on the right and me doing my best imitation of BOTH Sonny & Cher on the left) but we took NYC by storm and left very few survivors (of the bead and metal sort).

Sporting matching Mary Jane Crocs (a total coincidence) we hit the wickedly hot pavement in search of Metalliferous. It was everything I had hoped and dreamed it would be. Piles and piles of beads of every sort and rows and rows of chains, findings, tools, books, charms, sterling, copper, brass, cord, vintage supplies - everything for the jewelry crackhead and more!

We loved it so much that we made a second trip the next day. I just couldn't get these burnt opal beads out of my mind and desperately needed to possess them. Once back in the store I was unable to locate them which nearly sent me into a psychotic episode (notice the stern concentration bordering on maniacal look on my face in the above photo - little did I know that the beads were directly behind me, mocking me the whole time).

And here they are! The beads all the way on the left are the burnt opals followed by grey fossil, snakeskin jasper (found this in a shop called New York Jewelry Mart which was also incredible), and a variety of other semiprecious stones and glass. I also loaded up on metal supplies and some tools. I am very happy.:)

Along with the shopping we did some serious eating as well. Burrito Loco in Greenwich Village was by far some of the best Mexican food I have ever had and a truly charming atmosphere. We inhaled the guacamole like our ship was going down and drank sangria like pros.

We stayed at The Lucerne (the view from our window, below) and had a wonderful breakfast the next morning right next door (above).

All in all it was a splendid little trip and a much needed break. Aside from the misguided subway ride that landed us in Queens (we meant to go there, really!) we had an excellent time. I am so thankful to Lorelei for inviting me! Be sure to check out her blog to read her account of our adventures. :)

Comments

Lorelei Eurto said…
Oh this made me laugh so hard! "...which nearly sent me into a psychotic episode (notice the stern concentration bordering on maniacal look on my face in the above photo -"
Good post. I like your pics. Your beads rock.
jeweledrabbit said…
Those burnt opal beads are gorgeous. I don't blame you for wanting to possess them.
Dani said…
Hey there...I was trying to contact you before you left to tell you about Metaliferious. I went there last year and boy that store rocks! Can you believe how much can be crammed into such little stores.

Lucky girl you!!! Hope to see you soon!
magicbeanbuyer said…
ooh I'm drooling over all those beads!
Round Rabbit said…
Dani, I remember when you went there! It is an incredible place - very inspiring and very dangerous to my pocketbook. :)
Erin Siegel said…
It's so awesome you and Lorelei can get together like this! So fun! I love your sense of humor about those Burnt Opals, too funny!
becca.elpy said…
oh man, that's awesome. I live in CT about 1.5hrs from NYC. Need to plan a trip there and hit up Metalliferous. I've ordered from them online. Love!

P.S. As a person confounded in general by Crocs, I have to say the ones you and your friend rocked were pretty cute. :)
Round Rabbit said…
Ha! Becca, I used to be confounded by Crocs as well - they are pretty darn ugly, that is for sure. Then I got a pair to wear at the pottery studio (concrete floors) and became a believer. The mary janes are pretty cute (much better than others) and they were the perfect shoe for all the walking in NYC. :)
Lorelei Eurto said…
this was such a fun trip. let's do it again!
Lorelei Eurto said…
Ahhhh Good Times. Lets do it again!!!!

Popular Posts