Weekend Part 1 - Sandi Pierantozzi

My weekend was about as full as full can be (in a good way) and I am still recovering. Saturday was spent at the studio attending a workshop with one of my favorite potters, Sandi Pierantozzi. Sandi is primarily a handbuilder who teaches some basic techniques that can be used in a multitude of ways whether you are a thrower or a handbuilder. My first workshop with Sandi was a year and half ago and it was the most exciting and stimulating experience I had encountered in pottery at that point. Since then, when I have the time to make anything bigger than a quarter, I have used her techniques as endless sources of inspiration.

The workshop was two days, but unfortunately I could only attend on Saturday. I made the most of it and thoroughly enjoyed learning some new techniques and spending some time with my studio mates.

Here are some of the demos (above & below) that Sandi made throughout the day. I was particularly excited to learn how to make the wavy bottom that can be seen on the mug to the right.

I purchased this sweet little pouring vessel (below) that features some of Sandi's hand-carved relief designs that she rolls the clay into before assembling the piece.

And here is my little lidded jar that I made during the workshop (below). I stamped the clay with a a vintage Lucite love bird jewelry finding that I had in my tool box and, just in case there was any doubt as to the birds status of affection, I stamps "love birds" all around the piece. I pierced a hole in the top of the cone lid and will add some sort of knob after the piece is glazed. I am pretty happy with the design and plan on making some more variations on this theme. :)

To see more photos from the workshop click here.

Comments

What a great workshop. Your lidded jar is fantastic. Can't wait to see what it looks like with the knob on top and glazed.

I love the demo pitcher with the waffle weave, too
Rosanne said…
Sandi is a very talented artist. I love a great workshop, specially when you come home having learned something new and exciting. Love the legs on your jar. What color are you glazing it?
Dani said…
Nancy...I had so much fun with you on Saturday at the workshop and missed you on Sunday! Hope to see more of you at the studio. I have tons to do there!
Erin Siegel said…
Looks like the workshop was fun! Love your lidded jar! You are a very talented potter!
meme said…
WOW your jar totally ROCKS!!! It looks like a great workshop too her pieces are lovely!! I enjoy reading your blog so much! Thank you for sharing!!! xoxo meme
Round Rabbit said…
Thanks everyone for all the sweet comments!!! :)
Highland Fairy said…
WOW~~~ those are amazing!
Yours is just as good as Sandi's!
I love the feet and curved bottoms!!!
What kind of clay does she use?
I'm inspired to do more clay work now...haven't done much recently...tut, tut!
xxxx
Lorelei Eurto said…
Love the birds on your lidded pot N- Really beautiful. Can't wait to see it all glazed up.

Popular Posts