Wednesday, December 16, 2009

An original steampunker


Meet Miss Emma Josephine Miller from Middletown, NY. Born October 1, 1868. Died June 9, 1888 (most likely not long after this photo was taken). I found her today while browsing around an antiques shop and was quite thrilled to see that she is wearing a skeleton key brooch. Last month I pondered the origin of the use of skeleton keys in jewelry so the discovery of this photo seemed quite fortuitous. And take a look at her embellished dress! She has more rigging than a sea-bound warship! (You know, back when there was such a thing as sea-bound warships...)

Anyhoo, I hope you enjoy Emma like I do. Her brief twenty years on earth can still bring a smile over 120 years later. :)

2 comments:

Andrew Thornton said...

I don't think I could carry off the rigging quite like she does.

Round Rabbit said...

I beg to differ! I can see you in a Michael Jackson type jacket, rigged to the hilt! It could be your trademark look!