Challenge

Each month the Art Bead Scene has a creative challenge based on a theme. This month the theme is A Dark and Stormy Night. I decided that it might be fun (not to mention a great creative exercise) to come up with something combining my porcelain pieces, natural stones and glass beads. So, here it is!

When I first started making my large circle and oval pendants years ago the purpose was to showcase glaze (see an example here). I simply love glaze and the process of glazing and I wanted a way to really wear it. The large pendants were the perfect "canvas" for my glaze paintings. Now and then one would come out of the kiln that was so spectacular and just drop dead gorgeous that I wanted to hoard it away, keeping it to myself, taking it out now and then to pet it and marvel at the chemistry of it all. The piece featured in this necklace is one of those beauties. And just imagine my squeals of delight when I placed a large bead of snake skin jasper next to it and saw how harmoniously they could live together (above). When I do shows I am often asked what kind of stones I work with. I have always found this a bit amusing to confuse porcelain for gemstones or minerals but now I see that it makes perfect sense. After all, porcelain and all of the components that make up glaze come from the earth. I am just combining them in ways that Mother Nature can't (though she does a smashing job on her own) and speeding up the process with a kiln.

Anyhoo, I am very pleased with the way my necklace came out. It is currently displayed on a necklace form on my mantel as though it were a sculpture and I may just leave it there until my next show. :)

Comments

Lorelei Eurto said…
Nice!
The jasper marries perfectly with your pendant!
Rosanne said…
Don't just sit it on the mantel...you should be wearing it.
Love the swallows with it.
Anonymous said…
I just saw this on Flickr and commented on it and have to say again WOW!
I wish I could reach through the computer and touch it too.
Patricia
SarahKelley said…
It's stunning! Love it!
jeweledrabbit said…
It's absolutely beautiful.
Stacey said…
That is beautiful. How fun to have a theme to work with, I really like the added birdies.
ceevee said…
Absolutely gorgeous!
Anonymous said…
Beautiful colours and the birds are lovely x
planettreasures said…
The necklace has turned out fabulously!
Your large pendant is gorgeous and really makes the piece!
Kim Caro said…
the bids are great and the stone looks awesome like fish scales.
Round Rabbit said…
Thank you everyone one for your super kind words! It is wonderful to receive such positive feedback and encourages me to do more. Thanks! :)

Popular Posts