All about a bracelet

I made this cuff today. I have a thing for cuffs these days. That is probably due to the fact that I have piles of leather laying around that is screaming at me to use it and the only thing I can think of at the moment is CUFFS. So... when I was in NYC a few weeks ago I made a point to get various ribbons and trims that I could use in conjunction with leather. What you see in this cuff is some of that trim. It's a wonderful gray woven wool trim. It's like a sweater for your wrist!

As you can see I tired to use as many different materials in this piece as possible. I used leather, wool, porcelain, brass, glass and natural stones. Did I forget anything? The kitchen sink??

My own porcelain ribbon slide was the piece I started with. This slide differs a little from the ones that I sold in my last Extra update in that it has a small hole on either side which allowed me to attach clusters of stones. I made this piece a long, long time ago and when I decided to make some more I chose not to put the holes in. But now that I am using it I really like the holes so I think I will have to make some more this way. Live and learn...

I riveted the wool trim to the leather with these lovely antiqued brass rivets. I'm still in love with rivets.

I made the end crimps from textured brass sheet that I sawed and bent in half and riveted into place. I really like how they turned out. The only thing I haven't finished is the toggle. I put a beautiful brass button on one end but I still need to put a loop on the other end. I was running out of daylight and I wanted to get it photographed so just imagine a loop on the end, if you will. :)

So that is my show and tell for today. I am anxious to get back to work on some more cuffs, probably similar to this one. Once I get an idea I tend to make many versions until I am tired of it. Do you like to expand on ideas or are you more of a one-of-a-kind kind of maker?

Comments

Unknown said…
Wow that is beautiful, I love everything about it! I LOVE cuffs to begin with and the earth tones in this are just awesome.
Libby Leuchtman said…
Very nice. I love the use of all the different materials.
Anonymous said…
Cool. I like layers. I like leather and I like fiber. Awesome use of the metal, especially the crimp ends! And buckles - as you know - I dig 'em. Especially, the ones I was lucky to get from you!

Me. I go back and forth. I could never be "solely production work". But, I don't mind making a somewhat large quantity of something if it's a rare opportunity.

I love the challenge of the "new and different". My brain is like a "hard drive". I just sort through my "database" of ever expanding ideas and knowledge and start creating. Sometimes, I have to purge because there is just too much information! Those are the nights I find it very hard to go to sleep. I wish I could act on a fraction of what goes on in my little brain (hard drive - I know, how geeky.)
I usually am a one of a kinder but lately as I am starting to fill my shops I find I like to do 1 type of piece till I tire of it. Like a ton of bracelets till I am sick of them.
Love how you combined the wool, I am into wool at the moment because of getting into knitting and crochet.
Shannon
ClickNCamera said…
I really love the color combination and the textures of this cuff...gorgeous!
See...what you forgot was to pack it up and ship it to my house...
Karen Gill said…
The cuff is awesome! Well done!
Elaine Ray said…
To answer your question, I like to expand on ideas. To satisfy my needs, I'm checking your etsy shop right now.........
Unknown said…
the best creation
Margaret Barry said…
Well done. I really enjoy seeing what you are doing with the leather...so creative and beautiful.

Margaret
lunedreams said…
omg you even made the crimp ends yourself. they're so perfect! i'm having crimp envy.
Rebecca said…
Looooove it...so cool. You should definitely make some more buckles with dangle holes, they are lovely. I totally run with an idea once I've had it, takes me a while to get fed up of one idea!
Nic :) said…
It's amazing!
really so so so funky!
x
Nic :) said…
It's amazing!
really so so so funky!
x
Dressedtothe9s said…
This bracelet is stunning, absolutely stunning
Connieb
Dressedtothe9s

Popular Posts