Yesterday was a wonderful rainy day here in upstate NY and I spent nearly all of it in the studio glazing bowls. Every year the studio where I work donates around 200-250 soup bowls to the Empty Bowls project. My contribution to the project comes in the way of glazing. Those of you who have been reading my blog for a while know that I love, love, LOVE to glaze and I relish the opportunity to glaze things that are bigger than a quarter. :) My friend, Maryanne (who happens to run the studio) is a production potter who throws bowls in a matter of minutes. I love her bowls. They were meant for me to glaze. So she throws and I glaze. Yay! Above is one of her bowls that I glazed from the last gas firing. I was so thrilled with the outcome that I set out to try to recreate the same look. We shall see if it works - you never really know when it comes to reduction firing.
Here are some of the bowls in their "before" state. I'll try to get an "after" later in the week after we fire them.
This bowl above was done in a similar way to the bowl below. I didn't write down what exact glazes I used in the finished bowl (a big no-no) so I had to take a guess as to what glazes I used. Usually I pride myself on being able to identify any glaze combination but this one did have me a little stumped (but I think I got it... maybe).
And you know it's Spring when the ducks return to the studio! This little sweetie was staring at me through the door. She seemed to remember that last year I fed her crackers so I scrounged around the studio and came up with some Fritos for her. Not the best duck diet, but she was pretty pleased. Her boy must have been out scouting for nest building property. Like a good duck-boy should. :)