Flipping the bird 19th century style

It's been a while since I shared any of my antique photos with you all. I can't even remember when the last time was, so I owe you a good one.

Click on the photo for the close-up... you will see that sister number three is indeed flipping the bird, and I believe (because I realllly want to) that she meant to do it. Just look at the hint of a smirk on her lips! And then look at the other two sisters. If they were your sisters you would be flipping the bird too. The one standing looks like she might be trying to control the photographer with her mind. The girl in the middle seems to be torn between the two - she knows what the troublemaker on the floor is doing but must remain dignified since sister number one is holding her down with her vice-grip of a hand.

Three lovely sisters from Pennsylvania, USA. Photographed by Nick & Knecht, Excelsior Traveling Artists, circa 1865.

(Before anyone says that it's not her middle finger... just work with me! It's funnier to think that she is being naughty... don't you think?)

Comments

Unknown said…
That's so funny!
What a great find and your sense of humor is awesome!
mairedodd said…
this is very funny! and i will definitely play along - i always have had a penchant for guerilla warfare amongst sibs -
Blaine M. Avery said…
Oh I going with the middle finger!! and they all look so happy too, I love this one how can I get a copy??
TesoriTrovati said…
That is hilarious! I am rolling with that one. Thanks for that. I needed it!
Enjoy the day!
Andrew Thornton said…
Too funny! Did you notice that only two of the sisters' dresses match. I wonder what that says.
Hah ..I love it - made me smile:-) Love to see some more of your collection!
Unknown said…
LOL! you're too funny!
Kirsten said…
Too Funny! She's probably protesting having to wear the dowdy duds..... little did they all know, she probably had a thong on underneath her gown!
Mel said…
If you look closely I believe it is actually her index/pointer finger showing. You can see her knuckles where her pinkie and her ring finger are bent down all the way and her middle finger is bent down partially. Her thumb is hidden. BUT it is FUNNY none the less because it really does look like she let em have it! Wow brings new meaning to "smile and watch the birdie !!!"
So funny! Thanks for sharing!
Ethan Mark said…
what is so funny in that..they are atleast good to birds..

Popular Posts