Necklace swap - part 1

As some of you may know I am participating in a necklace round robin with a group of lovely ladies from all over the country. Lorelei is the organizer and was the first to add to each of our necklace "starts" and then they made their way to me. This blog post will feature three of the necklaces and tomorrow I will feature the other half.

First up is Mollie Valente whose theme is Wings. The photo above (which I swiped from L) shows her start and what L added to it. Below shows my additions.

Mollie is going for a super long necklace that can be wrapped around the neck and it looks like we are off to a good start! (though it may weigh 40 pounds by the time it is done:)

I etched a copper disk with a sweet little bird and nestled it in with Lorelei's handmade chain. Then I added a gorgeous stone bead (can't remember what the stone is at the moment) in a blazing amber color. From there I added some chunky copper chain and attached three blue quartz stones.

Next up is Gaea whose theme is A Charmed Life. Above is her start and what L added to it.

This is going to be a fun necklace when it is finished! The colors Gaea chose to start with have sent this necklace in a festive direction.

I added a vintage copper tassel which I gave a nice blue patina to. I also added a fun glittery bead I bought in London and an etched copper heart.

A few of my own porcelain charms completed my part.

And here we have Lorelei. Her theme is Birds. Above shows her start.

This is going to be another weighty one! (Nearly everyone wants a long necklace - we all need to start working on building up our neck muscles!)

Several months ago I purchased this wonderful vintage sterling owl pin from a local antiques shop. I had L in mind when I saw it and this necklace gave me the perfect opportunity to give it to her and have it be a part of the necklace. I wanted her to still be able to wear it as a pin if she felt like it so I took a copper disk, etched it with a sun ray design and drilled two large holes in it. This way the pin fits into the holes and clasps in the back but it can still be taken off and worn alone.

It is attached to the necklace with some simple jump rings. I attached it to one of my porcelain round connectors and a piece of deep purple leather cord that we found in London. I secured the cord with two pieces of copper tube which was hammered flat.

I finished up the necklace with a little ceramic bird and a gorgeous plastic button (both London finds).

Check in tomorrow for the remaining three necklaces! :)

Comments

Lorelei Eurto said…
I'm such a sap! I can't believe i'm crying right now. you are just the sweetest friend ever. I love what you did with my necklace and the others too. Can't wait to see what you've done to the others. Thank you so much for being part of this project. It's just the most awesome fun ever!
Round Rabbit said…
Oh geeze! Now I'm crying. Let's blame it on the hormones.
I'm so happy that you are happy! This has been so fun!
peacockfairy said…
Great job! I am enjoying seeing these progress! What you did with the owl pin was such a good idea!
mairedodd said…
these are looking fabulous! i think the stone you are referring to is fire agate (at least i have something like that in my stash and that's what they called it when i purchased it)... everyone is doing such an incredible job...
EmandaJ said…
Oo Nancy, these are beautiful! Can't wait to get my mits on them. I have some ideas for these when I get my turn!

Emanda
ArtemsiaStudio.blogspot.com
Wow, awesome job on the necklaces. What fun! So much talent it's scary! :)
Silver Parrot said…
What great additions you made to each of the necklaces and I love how you left the owl pin so that it can be worn separately if desired. That was an amazing touch!
Unknown said…
All the necklaces look amazing
sandi miller said…
Simply Fantastic!!!!
Gardanne said…
Nancy what you did with Lorelei's pin was so clever. She could even pin the brooch when its in the necklace to create a cool drape effect. I also loved your new glazes in the last post, I will be stalking the extras shop.
Alice said…
I love seeing the progression of the pieces. Everyone has their own style, yet it all comes together beautifully!

I have to admit that I am in awe and a teensy bit envious of such amazing talent.
Mari said…
Excellent idea for the owl pin!! and the other pieces are beautiful... and the way to put it all together ... awesome!!
Mollie Valente said…
Well I gave in a took a peek--and oh my goodness--they are all so wonderful! So many great ideas and techniques I can hardly contain myself. Love the etched birdie and the handmade chain--and well, EVERYTHING!

Really, just wow and thanks!

Mollie
planettreasures said…
What an amazing challenge!
It looks so much fun!
Look forward to seeing the finished pieces.
Gaea said…
Fan-freakin'-tastic!
Kella said…
What a beautiful idea and such creatitivty, wow!
This is such a wonderful idea! Each artist adds their own personality and style to the piece. In the end, each necklace will be a fantastic treasure!

Popular Posts