Closed thread UPDATE

Ok, so a few days ago I made this post about a shop on Etsy that I have been flagging for over a year and a new shop that is now selling the same non-handmade jewelry. Many of you joined in the fight and flagged both shops, in particular a ring that both sellers had listed. I just checked both shops and the new shop is gone. Etsy has closed it. Good, they did what they should have. The other shop, however, the one that I have been flagging for over a year now IS STILL THERE! Etsy did remove the ring that was flagged but this seller still has 26 of the same rings listed for sale, she is still claiming that they are handmade - SHE IS STILL ALLOWED TO DO BUSINESS ON ETSY!

Yep, I am shouting.

So what does this lead me to believe? What I have believed all along. That Etsy is for some reason protecting this seller and allowing her to remain even though they know that what she sells goes against their own rules. They have even done her the favor of removing her competition which provided clear-cut evidence that what she sells is from China.

All together now: WTF ETSY???

Comments

Round Rabbit said…
Yes, grrrrrr indeed!
Lorelei Eurto said…
Do you know anything about ArtFire.com or have you heard of it? I just saw an ad in the newest Stringing magazine... FREE TRADE- no FEES! NONE!
Makes me really think....
Anonymous said…
I've pretty much given up on Etsy Admin doing anything really noteworthy.
Round Rabbit said…
Yes, me too. It's a shame, really. I enjoy Etsy very much and I have done fairly well there a seller with only my own promotion and no nods from Admin whatsoever. I will continue to use them as my primary online selling venue, for now. However, I really wish they would get some grown-ups on their staff and improve their customer service by 100%. They have never, not once, answered any emails have sent them and on the rare occasion that I go into the forums for some help I have received rude and sarcastic comments from Admin. They need to develop some respect for the people who make Etsy work. That would be nice.
I catch myself saying the same thing (WTF Etsy) all the time. My frustration stems from the constant daily repeats on the front page. Favoritism at its best.
Gaea said…
Oh! I saw that ad! I was wondering about it...
WFT indeed! I guess it will take us moving to other venues to make them think about how THEIR practices will be effecting THEM!
jeweledrabbit said…
I'm looking at other online venues to set up at, ArtFire being one of them. I set up an account a while ago, but was waiting for them to be out of beta before listing anything. I just checked and it appears they are.
jeweledrabbit said…
Have you heard about Etsy Bitch?

http://etsybitch.blogspot.com/
Erin Siegel said…
That's really too bad. And I was just getting started at Etsy! There's also another venue I've heard of, it's www.ShopHandmade.com
Blooming Lily said…
I am always so confused about these posts...how do you know her stuff is not handmade?
Round Rabbit said…
elleabella, there is no need for confusion with this seller. She admits that the rings she sells are not handmade and Etsy just shut down another seller for selling the same things (they said right in their description that the rings come from China). The rings can also be found all over ebay from a variety of sellers all over the world. Believe me, I wouldn't broadcast my disgust with this situation unless I was certain that this seller is violating Etsy's policies. And they are.
noricum said…
Well, I went through and flagged every one of her rings... I hope that doesn't get me in trouble with the ETSY admin...
Round Rabbit said…
OMG noricum, you totally rule! I can't believe you flagged them all! Don't worry too much about admin. They should be thanking you for doing the job they can't seem to do themselves. :)

Popular Posts