Blueberry - Part l...

Yesterday I started to paint a room upstairs that will become my home studio. Last year I relinquished the room that was my studio to Paul and since then I have managed to spread my mess absolutely everywhere. I have reached the point of saturation and need to get this new studio space in order pronto. You know it's got to be bad if I can't stand my own clutter. I am bit like a pig in mud - usually quite content to roll around in my own disorder - but now I am ready to contain it all in one place.

In order to get up and running I have to do a quick renovation. My house is an 1870's Stick Style Victorian in need of more than a little attention. This room is actually in pretty good shape only needing some fresh paint, a little floor refurbishing and some ceiling work. I have two things working against me: No time and very little money. What's a girl to do? Well, I started with this lovely grayish blueish purplish wall color (above) and I am thrilled thus far. I have the first coat almost done, the second should go much faster. It's a little dark for a studio but it makes me happy. So there.

The next challenge will be the floor and just what to do to it. It's wood and worn and doesn't look all that great, but then again, it doesn't need to look great. When I paint (as in on a canvas) I paint on the floor so I don't want to put a lot of energy into a floor that will take a beating. I was thinking of stenciling a subtle pattern all over, keeping it kind of faded and worn. It would unify the uneven look of the floor and provide a little design interest in the room. But I don't know. Any ideas??

Comments

Lorelei Eurto said…
Oh I definitely like the idea of a pattern on the floor. I'm envisioning 2 different colors of stain maybe?
That would really spruce it up!
Wow, 1870s huh? Any hauntings?
Love the blueberry, very calming color!
Round Rabbit said…
Oh, stain! I was trying to think of paint colors but stain makes so much more sense! Thanks!
As far as hauntings go - according to the previous owner the house was supposed to be haunted when I bought it 12 years ago. It's not. Aside from the occasional squirrel in the attic there have never been any freaky happenings. :)
It would be cool to mimic the design on that doorknob (for instance) for a floor pattern.

Or possibly the window molding carving I saw in an earlier post.

Love the wall color!
Round Rabbit said…
Excellent idea diva!!! The doorknob pattern would be perfect!

I'm so glad I asked. :)
Joan Tucker said…
Hi, I love your blue color; I go with Lorelei's stain idea; I have seen some French Country rooms and they stencil with stain then lightly sand so the designs are slightly blurred so as you wear it down from use it looks natural and perfect.It can be two colors of stain, one light.
Good luck, what a great project.
Joan Tucker, Off Center Productions
laurelmoon said…
That's fantastic! I'm feeling the same sort of cluttered pressure to get a new space--I'm hoping to buy a house in December, which will lead to good things, I hope.

Good luck in your remodeling!!
Dani said…
Hi Nancy,

OK so here's what you do...make an area rug pattern with paint and then do a pattern on the outside of the rug...then you don't need a real area rug. Maybe some stripes in the area rug or diamonds would be nice. If you need help with it, I can come on down! Love the color of the walls!
Lorelei Eurto said…
my blueberries match the color of your walls in this post. ha!
:)

Popular Posts